Economic and political reform, privatization, greater openness to market forces and the strengthening of governmental institutions and civil society organizations taking place in many African countries is leading to a improved investment environment. Africa is a growing frontier market and has many players, including African investors and sovereign wealth funds. From telecommunications to natural resources, Africa will continue to grow even during global economic downturns.
The Scowcroft Group has advised clients on numerous transactions throughout the region, including Angola, Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Kenya, Nigeria, South Africa and Tanzania.
These opportunities have principally been in energy and natural resources, the financial sector, telecommunications and consumer goods.
- Sell-side advisor to a mobile operator in East Africa on a $128 million transaction.
- Assisted negotiations on the farm-out of an East African oil and gas block.
- Advised a Gulf-based oil and gas company on the acquisition of East African exploration and production assets.
- Member of a large telecom buy-side team that concluded a $1.2 billion transaction in South Africa.
- Advised a multinational resource corporation on the regulatory review process with a SADC-region government.
- Financial advisor to a large telecom firm on the purchase of a mobile operator in South Africa, with a transaction value $320 million.
- Advised one of the world’s largest mining companies on the acquisition of an asset valued at over $1 billion.
- Advised a major commodity trading company on acquisition opportunities.